Miriam improves the quality of life for children with learning disabilities and their families through innovative and comprehensive programs.
Miriam is proud of our legacy that spans over 100 years of service to the St. Louis community. The organization was originally chartered in 1910 as “Miriam No. 17”, a local chapter of the national organization United Order True Sisters, Inc. (UOTS) and was, from the outset, focused on community service. Property in Webster Groves, Missouri, was donated by the Bry family and in 1914 Miriam founded and operated the Rosa Bry Convalescent Home and Rehabilitation Program until 1956, when the program merged with Jewish Hospital in St. Louis.
Continuing our legacy of answering unmet needs in the community, Miriam also began providing assistance to cancer patients and cancer-related organizations throughout the St. Louis area in 1954. Miriam Cancer Services continued until 2008 when its programs were transferred to the Cancer Support Community of Greater St. Louis (formerly The Wellness Community).
In 1956, Miriam School was established to serve children with developmental disabilities. Following the establishment of Special School District and other public school special education programs, Miriam School’s focus changed in 1962 to serve children with complex learning disabilities. The school program is currently designed for children in pre-kindergarten through eighth grade who have learning, speech/language, sensory/motor, and attention disabilities. Through a team approach, small class size, and specialized instruction, Miriam School provides a variety of accommodations and curriculum modifications designed to meet the academic needs and support the social skills development of each of its 96 students.
In September 2007, the Learning Center opened to provide services to students, ages three to 18 years, who wish to remain in their current educational environment but need specialized in-school and after-school support services to meet their potential. The Learning Center annually serves more than 700 children who attend over 120 different private, public, or parochial schools, or are homeschooled.